Friday, September 11, 2009

Chalk It Up To Inspiration.


For the last four or so odd months I had been trying to find "the perfect" antique (or "antique-like" but used, must be used) frame to make into a magnetic chalkboard for my sewing studio. It was to the point where it literally became an obsession. I journeyed to Antique stores near and far and became manic about checking Craig's list at least five times a day. I had a picture in my mind of exactly what I wanted it to look like and wasn't willing to compromise....Which clearly is a problem.

One morning after checking Craig's list again, I had remembered an article my brother-in-law sent me about a woman who owns a store in Buffalo, Minnesota called Atelier (French for an artist's studio or workroom). He sent me the link with the caption "This is right up your alley."

I decided to take the 45 minute drive and check this place out for myself. The two-story brick building stands on one of a few corners in quaint, downtown Buffalo. I drove to the back where I could see that her other store "The Porch" (open the first week of every month) was also open (Lucky me!!). Harvest tables, old doors and other goodies were set outside waiting to be snatched up by some lucky connoisseur of French country chic.

I walked up the sidewalk to the main entrance, stepped inside the store and was immediately stopped dead in my tracks. It took my breath away. Everything and I mean everything was beautiful. 13-foot (at least) ceilings hovered elegantly over a mix of eclectic, vintage, french market inspired goodies. It was my nirvana and I didn't want to leave. I could have easily set up camp on the beautiful French settee and been happy as a clam. Forever.

After making my way through all of the goodies upstairs, I ventured down to The Porch where, incidentally, I ended up finding my sought-after frame and where I was also able to chat with Teresa herself. A lovely woman, so sweet and genuine, we had a conversation about my bags and about her love of re purposing old, discarded items. Her passion was evident and inspired me to continue on with what I love to do. Maybe someday I can have a place as beautiful as hers.

Teresa will be featured in the 2010 lineup for Country Living magazine, so keep your eyes peeled. If you can't wait, check out this article (that also includes a tour of her awesome apartment...I've watched it like 75 times...I feel like such a stalker) published last April by the Star Tribune. Teresa also has a blog (The Porch & Atelier) where she writes about up and coming events and things that inspire her.

As it turns out, the frame I bought wasn't exactly what I thought I wanted, but when it was all said and done, it turned out better than anything I would have hoped for. Check it out for yourself!

BEFORE


AFTER




Also, if you like this idea, keep checking my etsy page for more magnetic chalkboards like this for sale!

1 comment:

  1. It looks just awesome, Jenni! And, you don't waste any time bringing your creative ideas to reality! ~Thanks for your wonderful comments, too, TERESA

    ReplyDelete